In hot yoga, the room temperature is set at about 98.6 degrees, with about 60% humidity. It may vary on the location you are taking the class. To the best of my knowledge, Bikram Yoga is a brand of hot yoga, so there should only be slight variations if any between Bikram and other hot yoga classes. The 90-minute hot yoga class at Sunstone consists of 34 postures and is labeled a "health & vitality" class. Here is a bit of information on Heat, Humidity, and You if you are unfamiliar with hot yoga.
The benefits I was informed about from my previous Bikram Yoga classes:
- Heavy sweating helps detoxify the body
- Helps you improve flexibility and range of motion
- Some people claim that it helps them get rid of pain
- May aid in weight loss
Some of my tips for taking a hot yoga class:
- Stay hydrated the day before you attend a class and hydrate throughout the day of class
- Wear light, breathable clothing; perhaps a tank top and yoga pants
- Take a towel with you since you will sweat a lot
- Take a full water bottle with you to hydrate throughout the class when needed
- Just like doing any other workout, do not eat right before your yoga practice; eat at least 1.5 to 2 hours beforehand
- You may want to take a pair of clothes to shower and change into afterward since you will be covered in sweat by the end of class; there will most likely be showers available as well
- Get to class a few minutes early and set up your mat and towel; lay down and get acclimated to the environment before the yoga practice begins
- Most importantly, take breaks when you need them!!
I initially took a few Bikram classes this past summer as a way to work on my flexibility and get a different kind of workout. Due to lack of time and distance (as well as expense of it) I could not continue. I'm glad I was able to sign up for this current offer at Sunstone Yoga. So far I have only tried their hot yoga classes but they offer many other types of yoga that I plan to try soon. As for hot yoga, I really enjoy it. Every time I am done with a class I feel great!